How to Apply for a Grant Through a Fiscal Sponsor
Fiscal Sponsorship can help navigate the grant process
Fiscal sponsors help open doors for nonprofit grants
One of the many benefits of having fiscal sponsorship is the ability to apply for grants usually only available to nonprofit organizations. Fiscal sponsors give you the ability to put your work before funders. The first step in becoming eligible for these opportunities is to find a fiscal sponsor whose mission matches your own. After gaining a fiscal sponsor, more funding opportunities become available to you. While each fiscal sponsor has varying levels of policies and procedures in place to maintain control over grant applications and awards, there are certain basics that should be addressed.
Ways to get grant help from your fiscal sponsor:
1. Fiscal sponsors typically request to review applications/Letters of inquiry/reports a certain number of business days prior to submission to the funder. Once they give approval and sign off on the report, you can submit the materials.
2. To maintain their fiduciary oversight over the application, fiscal sponsors will want to confirm:
- that your application and request fits within the mission of your fiscal sponsor,
- that they can comply with the funders’ requirements, and
- that your relationship with your fiscal sponsor is listed/reflected properly with the correct EIN and contact information.
3. In addition to the actual application, reporting and supplemental materials required by the funder would likely also need to be reviewed by the sponsor to ensure proper completion. Be sure to check with your fiscal sponsor to know their specific requirements in regards to grant applications.
Learn more about getting nonprofit grant help from your fiscal sponsor
For more information, reach out to us on LIVE CHAT and we can walk you through the process more specifically to your circumstance.
To learn about Fiscal Sponsorship available in NYC, check out our full list here.
Pentacle remains dedicated to continuing to provide a high level of support to artists during these extraordinary circumstances. Alongside many other key and respected organizations in the field, we have begun accumulating and curating resources for artists and organizations experiencing income loss and other troubles as a result of the COVID-19 crisis. Find our list of resources here.
NEXTSTEPS | 08.10.2021
Latest Blog Posts
Creatives & Credit: A Credit Score WorkshopRecorded on May 4th 2022 Pentacle Presents FREE Creatives & Credit Workshop with Tierra Bonds For artists and creatives looking to build good money habits, this fiscal session teaches you how to reach your credit...
Preparing for Tax DayAn interview with Davalois Fearon In preparation for Tax Day, we talked with Davalois Fearon about her experience working with Pentacle, and how it has helped her with her taxes and gain overall financial health, especially through Fiscal...
Planning A Fundraising EventEvent fundraising can be a great way to raise funds There are a number of ways to fundraise money for an organization or cause. One of the most collaborative ways to fundraise is by hosting an event. There are many steps to consider when...