How to Apply for a Grant Through a Fiscal Sponsor
Fiscal Sponsorship can help navigate the grant process
Fiscal sponsors help open doors for nonprofit grants
One of the many benefits of having fiscal sponsorship is the ability to apply for grants usually only available to nonprofit organizations. Fiscal sponsors give you the ability to put your work before funders. The first step in becoming eligible for these opportunities is to find a fiscal sponsor whose mission matches your own. After gaining a fiscal sponsor, more funding opportunities become available to you. While each fiscal sponsor has varying levels of policies and procedures in place to maintain control over grant applications and awards, there are certain basics that should be addressed.
Ways to get grant help from your fiscal sponsor:
1. Fiscal sponsors typically request to review applications/Letters of inquiry/reports a certain number of business days prior to submission to the funder. Once they give approval and sign off on the report, you can submit the materials.
2. To maintain their fiduciary oversight over the application, fiscal sponsors will want to confirm:
- that your application and request fits within the mission of your fiscal sponsor,
- that they can comply with the funders’ requirements, and
- that your relationship with your fiscal sponsor is listed/reflected properly with the correct EIN and contact information.
3. In addition to the actual application, reporting and supplemental materials required by the funder would likely also need to be reviewed by the sponsor to ensure proper completion. Be sure to check with your fiscal sponsor to know their specific requirements in regards to grant applications.
Learn more about getting nonprofit grant help from your fiscal sponsor
For more information, reach out to us on LIVE CHAT and we can walk you through the process more specifically to your circumstance.
To learn about Fiscal Sponsorship available in NYC, check out our full list here.
Pentacle remains dedicated to continuing to provide a high level of support to artists during these extraordinary circumstances. Alongside many other key and respected organizations in the field, we have begun accumulating and curating resources for artists and organizations experiencing income loss and other troubles as a result of the COVID-19 crisis. Find our list of resources here.
NEXTSTEPS | 08.10.2021
Latest Blog Posts
Sharing Space with Arts in Sacred Places (AiSP) Sharing Space Resources with Sacred Places that Share your Mission & Values Why Share Space with a Sacred Place? In our pre-COVID-19 world, creating your artistic work meant lots of planning and searching for...
How to Know You're Showcase ReadyWhat is a showcase, and how are they run? Participating in a showcase is an opportunity to share your latest work available for touring/booking by presenting organizations. One of the larger, more well-known opportunities in the...
An Artist's Email Marketing Calendar: Tips & TricksTips and tricks for creating an email marketing calendar for your arts organization Email marketing calendars are critical for most enterprises, and they deserve a high level of organization and care. In fact,...