5 Questions to Ask When Hiring an Intern
It’s key to ask an intern these questions before hiring them.
Here are a few questions for employers to ask a potential intern, in order to learn about their work ethic and history:
1. Why did you apply for this internship? What elements excited you about this opportunity?
2. What has been your most rewarding experience thus far—either academically, personally, or professionally—and why? Or, what is something that you’ve done that you’re very proud of?
3. What do you consider your greatest asset or contribution within the workplace?
4. What are some skills that you would like to improve on during this internship?
5. Describe a time when you’ve experienced a challenge in the workplace and how you handled it.
It’s also important to learn an intern’s preferences.
Additionally, it’s important to learn about potential interns’ workplace preferences so that you can determine if they would be entering an environment that supports their interests. Remember that the more an intern feels valued, comfortable, positively challenged, and engaged in personal growth, the more motivated they will be to actively participate in the goals of the internship.
Below are a few key questions for employers to ask a potential intern in order to learn about their work environment preferences:
1. Describe the work environment where you are most productive and happy.
2. Do you prefer to work independently or as part of a team?
3. Describe a relationship you had with a supervisor that was very positive for you.
4. Are there any soft skills that you would like to improve upon through an internship?
5. Do you have any access needs in the workplace that would be important for an employer to know about?
NEXTSTEPS | 1.14.21
Latest Blog Posts
How to create your own bookkeeping system for arts businessesManaging your organization’s finances can tend to be overwhelming. Who gave us funds for what? Who is getting paid for their services? How do I show a final report to stay compliant with the grant I...
Should My Dancers Be on Payroll?Benefits of Paying Your Dancers on Payroll A common question smaller dance companies pose themselves is whether or not to put their dancers on payroll or pay them as independent contractors. We hope to lay out some benefits that your...
What is an Independent Contractor?What types of professions work as Independent Contractors? In the professional services world, we know that lawyers, doctors, accountants, and others often provide their services to the general public as independent contractors....