5 Questions to Ask When Hiring an Intern
It’s key to ask an intern these questions before hiring them.
Here are a few questions for employers to ask a potential intern, in order to learn about their work ethic and history:
1. Why did you apply for this internship? What elements excited you about this opportunity?
2. What has been your most rewarding experience thus far—either academically, personally, or professionally—and why? Or, what is something that you’ve done that you’re very proud of?
3. What do you consider your greatest asset or contribution within the workplace?
4. What are some skills that you would like to improve on during this internship?
5. Describe a time when you’ve experienced a challenge in the workplace and how you handled it.
It’s also important to learn an intern’s preferences.
Additionally, it’s important to learn about potential interns’ workplace preferences so that you can determine if they would be entering an environment that supports their interests. Remember that the more an intern feels valued, comfortable, positively challenged, and engaged in personal growth, the more motivated they will be to actively participate in the goals of the internship.
Below are a few key questions for employers to ask a potential intern in order to learn about their work environment preferences:
1. Describe the work environment where you are most productive and happy.
2. Do you prefer to work independently or as part of a team?
3. Describe a relationship you had with a supervisor that was very positive for you.
4. Are there any soft skills that you would like to improve upon through an internship?
5. Do you have any access needs in the workplace that would be important for an employer to know about?
NEXTSTEPS | 1.14.21
Latest Blog Posts
Creatives & Credit
Creatives & Credit: A Credit Score WorkshopRecorded on May 4th 2022 Pentacle Presents FREE Creatives & Credit Workshop with Tierra Bonds For artists and creatives looking to build good money habits, this fiscal session teaches you how to reach your credit...
Preparing for Tax Day
Preparing for Tax DayAn interview with Davalois Fearon In preparation for Tax Day, we talked with Davalois Fearon about her experience working with Pentacle, and how it has helped her with her taxes and gain overall financial health, especially through Fiscal...
Planning A Fundraising Event
Planning A Fundraising EventEvent fundraising can be a great way to raise funds There are a number of ways to fundraise money for an organization or cause. One of the most collaborative ways to fundraise is by hosting an event. There are many steps to consider when...