5 Questions to Ask When Hiring an Intern
It’s key to ask an intern these questions before hiring them.
Here are a few questions for employers to ask a potential intern, in order to learn about their work ethic and history:
1. Why did you apply for this internship? What elements excited you about this opportunity?
2. What has been your most rewarding experience thus far—either academically, personally, or professionally—and why? Or, what is something that you’ve done that you’re very proud of?
3. What do you consider your greatest asset or contribution within the workplace?
4. What are some skills that you would like to improve on during this internship?
5. Describe a time when you’ve experienced a challenge in the workplace and how you handled it.
It’s also important to learn an intern’s preferences.
Additionally, it’s important to learn about potential interns’ workplace preferences so that you can determine if they would be entering an environment that supports their interests. Remember that the more an intern feels valued, comfortable, positively challenged, and engaged in personal growth, the more motivated they will be to actively participate in the goals of the internship.
Below are a few key questions for employers to ask a potential intern in order to learn about their work environment preferences:
1. Describe the work environment where you are most productive and happy.
2. Do you prefer to work independently or as part of a team?
3. Describe a relationship you had with a supervisor that was very positive for you.
4. Are there any soft skills that you would like to improve upon through an internship?
5. Do you have any access needs in the workplace that would be important for an employer to know about?
NEXTSTEPS | 1.14.21
Latest Blog Posts
Healthy Dancer, Elite Mover: A Virtual Conference for Dance Educators Presented by NYU Langone’s Harkness Center for Dance Injuries The Harkness Center for Dance Injuries invites you to attend their Virtual Conference for Dance Educators, taking place March 11 – 13,...
Arts Action Fund: Covid Arts Resources TableAmericans for the Arts Action Fund Summarizes Covid Arts Relief Americans for the Arts Action Fund is helping artists and artistic entities stay up to date on Covid Arts Relief. This organization has been consistently...
Essential Tips for Promoting Your Art on Social MediaSocial media provides many ways to promote your art. Over the past few years, and especially during the recent pandemic, social media has become an artist’s main pathway to connection and promotion....